Saturday, February 7, 2009

These are Amazing!

I have been reading a certain blog for quite awhile... and this week, the writer of that blog posted a recipe for Pepperoni Rolls. She had written about making them and selling a few weeks back. That piqued my interest... I'm always looking for good recipes that are good enough to sell. (Not that I would sell them... but they have to be pretty good, right?)


So, this morning... I got up and made them... and they ARE AMAZING! DH is very happy with them. I took some over to my neighbor who helped us move our couch as a thank you gift. (They were still warm... I just ate one... yuuuummmm!)


Pepperoni Rolls

Dough
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
1 cup chopped pepperoni
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
3 cups flour

Filling
pepperoni slices (approx. 64 slices)
pepper rings (approx. 1 1/2 cups)**
mozzarella (approx. 2 cups)
(We don't like pepperoncini, so I omitted them... **)

In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, salt, sugar, minced garlic, egg, oil, chopped pepperoni, and the 1/2 cup of cheese. Let sit five minutes. Stir in the first cup and a half of flour with a heavy spoon. Add the next cup of flour a little at a time as needed, stirring until dough becomes too stiff to continue stirring easily. Add a little more flour and begin kneading. The amount of flour is approximate–your mileage may vary! Continue adding flour and kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic. Let dough rise in a greased, covered bowl until doubled. (Usually, about an hour.) Uncover bowl; sprinkle in a little more flour and knead again before dividing in half into two balls.

Working with one half of the dough at a time, roll each ball of dough out onto a floured surface into a rectangle (approximately 8×12 inches). Sprinkle flour over the dough to keep from sticking as you roll. Make one slice lengthwise down the dough.

Slicing from the other direction, make a slice down the middle, then again, until you have eight pieces. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

Place four slices of pepperoni on each piece.
Roll up, pinching seam to seal.

Let rise approximately 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Bake for 20-30 minutes. (Watch carefully–the size of your rolls will vary the baking time–they’re done when they’ve browned.)
Makes 16 rolls.



If you want to see the tutorial of how these are made go to her blog:
It's called Chickens in the Road by http://suzannemcminn/blog/

I only did a few things differently than her recipe.... I used butter at room temperature instead of oil, and I used more sugar than called for... about a scant 1/3 cup. I used an artisan cheese blend with Asiago, Romano and Mozzarella cheese. I think I will use whole milk Mozz the next time I do these. They were still off the charts good!

Thanks for reading... be blessed!
~Suzanne

2 comments:

Lisa said...

YUUUUUMMMMMM!!!!!

HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Egghead said...

Hi Suzanne,

I am glad you stopped by and left me a comment. I am loving your blog and I see that you and I were on the same wave lenght making those pepperoni rolls this last weekend. I made them on Saturday and they were a huge hit (thanks to Suzanne McMinn - I love her).