Saturday, February 7, 2009

One of my favorites

A few days ago, I showed a picture of a sampler platter of snack foods. On the platter were mozzarella sticks, onion rings and homemade zucchini sticks. Zucchini sticks are my favorite thing to order when we go to a certain rib place. They run about 6.99 for a serving of 5 sticks. I decided that I was going to satisfy my craving and do it a little more economically.


Zucchini is running about $1.88 per pound at the local Wal Marts... so I picked up 2 smaller ones. They weighed just over 1 pound all together.


When I was ready, I washed them, cut both ends off, and then sliced them in half lengthwise. I then cut those into 3 sections (or 4, depending on how thick they are) lengthwise again, making long thin sticks.

I dusted them with flour, dipped them in a simple egg wash, and then into Italian bread crumbs. I did all of them and place them on a cookie sheet to rest while I waited for the oil to get hot.

I placed them in hot oil (350*) and cooked them until they were nice and crisp and floated in the oil... about 2 1/2- 3 minutes.


Zucchini Sticks

2 medium to small zucchini
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
mix egg and milk together to make egg wash
1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs to roll zucchini in

oil for deep frying at least 3 cups in a 4 qt stock pot (I don't own a deep fryer)

I served them with some parmesan peppercorn salad dressing on the side.
Thanks for reading... be blessed.
~Suzanne

No comments: