Friday, January 23, 2009

Quilting Party

Way back when... like about 10 years ago, I was on my second round with an old boyfriend. We had planned on getting married during the first time around. He had a lot of issues... and we parted ways. He came from a large family... and we always had fun when we got together.


When round two came to pass... His family dynamics had changed. His father had remarried after being divorced for about 8 years. His second wife was a real dynamo... and if I had to guess, is probably a blogger these days as well. She brought a lot of life to the farmhouse, doing decorating and remodel projects, and always fun family weekends with lots of food and always a craft project or quilt project.


One of my last weekends at the farmhouse, before it all literally went south between "R" and I, was a girls quilt weekend. We all brought fabric, sewing machines and supplies... and we set to making quilt blocks to exchange. We had to make 8 blocks to share plus our own. I never got to put my blocks together and it went to the bottom of my sewing tote.


I recently unearthed those blocks... and it's fun to see what 9 women chose to exchange and how alike the blocks are.



Here's a closer look at some of my favorite blocks:



Remember when I said I went on a field trip this week... I went over the mountain to Nescopek to a craft and quilt shop.... to find fabric to put my extra quilt blocks together as a wall hanging. It's been years since I have quilted or done any real fabric design or craft projects. (Except for my slip for my wedding day, I haven't sewn at all.)


First, here is my quilt block... I made a total of 12 and gave 8 away.






Here's what I chose for sashing:





A medium green background with purple and lavender violets... very cute! And for my edge and backing, I chose an offwhite fabric with green and purple plaid... and it has a light brush mark background as well.



I am quite pleased with what I have chosen... and it should give me the motivation to get it started. I do need to either find (if I didn't sell them) or purchase a rotary cutter and ruled cutting mat. It will give me something to do in the coming few months when it's too cold and dark to do anything but stay in... while I dream of doing flower pots and garden beds full of flowers. (I'm also thinking of doing some Trompe 'Loeil this spring on the wall below the stairs for our outdoor area.)

Thanks for reading... be blessed!
~Suzanne

No comments: