Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Take on the Recipe

Right now on the Internet... there are several tutorials for a recipe that I like. Baked Onions.... are super yummo! But most of the recipes call for mushrooms. I love mushrooms... but the DH does not. So, I've made a savory style recipe for Baked Onions. Most recipes call for the onions to be done as a whole onion, and having the inside scooped out. I have no patience for the classic take on it... I cut them in half and simply removed what I wanted.

Savory Baked Onions

4 to 6 onions
1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
1/4 c slivered almonds, rough chopped
1/2-3/4 c diced onions
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz. ground beef
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 T. A-1 steak sauce
2 slices of white bread, cut into bread crumbs
1 tsp Oregano leaves
salt and pepper
olive oil
2 C. Beef broth

Peel onions, cut off tops and root end, remove onion layers, leaving 2 or 3 layers
Dice up 1/2 to 3/4 cup of onion

Brown ground beef and then drain well... add small amount of oil to pan and add onion, add zucchini and cook until translucent. Add almonds and lightly toast. Add garlic and continue to cook for 30 or 40 seconds. Add Oregano leaves.

Place ground beef in mixing bowl, add sauteed ingredients and lightly mix.
Add bread crumbs, cheese and A-1 sauce... mixing lightly. Season with salt and pepper.

Place onions in casserole dish, fill each onion cavity with stuffing mixture. Add additional cheese to top if desired. Pour beef broth into bottom of casserole dish... bringing broth up at least 1/3 of onion. Cover with foil, loosely... and bake 400* for 1 hour.

It turned out really well... I served it with a tossed romaine salad and Asiago dressing and some crusty french rolls. It was perfect for a cold winter evening. We were satisfied but not overly full from dinner. DH loved it. Oh... and all the rest of the onion that was removed... I diced up and put some in a ziplock in the freezer and some fresh to use this week. (We all use onion as a base for most dishes, so it's a shortcut for another day!)

I also went on a little field trip over the mountain today. I went to a small craft shop that has a fairly large selection of quilt fabric. I will post more about that tomorrow. :)

Thanks for reading... If you try my recipe... let me know! Be blessed!

~Suzanne

No comments: