Monday, January 3, 2011

Dreaming of Days Gone-by

Last night, both DH and I went to bed at a reasonable hour. We had gotten our lunch bags prepped and we both feel asleep right away. I slept fairly well last night... but early this morning, I kept having a continuing dream... I kept dreaming about my old job from 10 years ago.

I used to work at a small community college... doing support services for 2 different programs. I totally loved my job and often think about what my life would be like if I still worked there. (Of course I wouldn't have met DH and married him if I were still there.) I worked with a drop-out retrieval program and also an early childhood education assistance program that was state funded. I loved my teen moms and their babies... and I adored my pre-schoolers. My assistant and I had developed an extensive read-along books on tape library... and I had such a great time with leading songs and buying small manipulative's and stickers and soft toys for my little kids.

I don't remember all the books we had... but sometimes, some of those animated stories will have lines that stick inside your brain... and pop out at some of the silliest times... like when I'm sleeping. I woke up this morning thinking about my little office, tucked into the end of the hall of a house we used as an office. I mainly used my desk to stash stuff I needed quickly... and I used the basement of the house the other program owned for their office to store some of the bigger things we had and our many storage totes for books. My day was spent going all over campus... accessing 7 different buildings during my day and having to park at each of them... in a 12 passenger van. I amaze myself when I think about driving that monster sized van and getting in and out of all kinds of crowded spaces... always with someone inside, needing to get somewhere, and I had a certain amount of time to get there and back again. It was a challenge and I loved it.

Back to those books on tape... again, I don't know the name of the book or the what it was about... I just remember a line... that will come to me in stressful times... a pouty, scared voice that says, "I don't want to do this.... " I had that voice in my head as I went to work today. It came into my head again when I printed the book for my new location and saw just how much money I have to collect this month... and I can't even touch $200,000 of it. With that kind of number... I'll never hit 8%, no matter how good I am.

I dreamt about some of the people I worked with... dreaming about funny situations and all the laughter we shared over the course of each day and some of the situations we'd find ourselves in. Sometimes, you couldn't help but laugh at what our kids would do... or laugh so we wouldn't cry at other situations. I would love to go back and work that job... even though my knees would kill me for all the climbing in and out of the huge van everyday. (Actually, the van is no more... we had to upgrade our vehicle to meet federal standards and we bought a 24 passenger bus... that meant I needed a CDL with 2 years of experience, which I didn't have.) When I shared my dream with DH, he said we could move back there someday! By then, everyone I  knew will have retired~lol.

Thanks for reading about good memories... be blessed!
~Suzanne

No comments: